Alec Phillipp

THE BRANDENBURG GATE

The Brandenburg Gate took roughly four years to construct, it was completed in 1791. The design was made by a man named Carl Gotthard Langhans. It was made for the king at that time, King Frederick William II. It is located in Berlin at the end of the famous german road “Unter Den Linden”. It is made out of sandstone slabs and is 85 feet tall, and 215 ft wide.The gates design came from the Propylaea, which is the gateway to the Acropolis in Athens Greece.

There are six columns inside the gate, and five pathways. Initially, only royalty could travel through the middle passage, and other citizens would travel through the outer four.

The statue on top of the Brandenburg Gate is called the Quadriga. It was built on top of the gate in 1793 by Johann Gottfried Schadow. It is made of bronze, and the woman riding behind the four horses was originally the goddess of peace. In 1806, France occupied Berlin and the French commander Napoleon ordered that the Quadriga be removed from atop the gate and brought to Paris. It remained there until after the battle of Waterloo in 1814, when it was triumphantly marched back to Berlin and put back on the gate. They then renamed the woman on top to “Victoria” the goddess of victory. The wreath of leaves that she originally adorned on her head to symbolize peace was complimented with the iron cross staff to symbolize victory

The Brandenburg gate was badly damaged during WWII. Large bullet holes were visible in the columns and faces of the gate. When the Allied Powers divided Berlin, the Brandenburg Gate was used as part of the Berlin Wall and served as a gate between East and West Berlin. The governments of East and West Berlin came together and decided to restore the gate in order to ensure that it didn’t fall. The gate was fully restored from 2000-2002 by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin.

Berlin guards at the Brandenburg Gate checking visa’s for people traveling from East and West Berlin

This is a photo from former President Ronald Reagans speech in West Berlin. It commenced right next to the Brandenburg Gate. This speech was given to West Berliners in order to instill hope in them that Berlin would be reunited once again. Many famous lines from this speech are remembered still, such as:

Ich habe noch einen Koffer in Berlin. “ I still have a suitcase in Berlin.” Es gibt nur ein Berlin. “There is only one Berlin.” “Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”

Key Words · Pariser Platz- Pariser Square · Brandenburger Tor- Brandenburg Door (gate) · Unter den Linden- Under the Linden (Linden trees) · Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin- Berlin Monument Conservation Foundation

Works cited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_Gate http://www.planetware.com/berlin/brandenburg-gate-d-bn-bbrg.htm http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Brandenburg_Gate.aspx http://www.aviewoncities.com/berlin/brandenburgertor.htm http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/reagan-tear-down.htm

ger/101/2010/fall/alec_phillip.txt · Last modified: 2010/10/21 15:28 (external edit)
 
Except where otherwise noted, content on this wiki is licensed under the following license: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Recent changes RSS feed Donate Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Driven by DokuWiki