Gero Crucifix

This monumental wooden crucifix was donated by Archbishop Gero (d.976). It originally stood at the centre of the old cathedral at the archbishop’s grave. The Gero Crucifix and the Milan Madonna in the Lady Chapel were the two major in the Gothic cathedral. The corpus and the beams of the cross are original; the radiant sun behind the cross and the marble altar it decorates, both of which were donated by Canon Heinrich Mering, were added in 1683. The Gero Crucifix is one of the few monumental sculptures of the crucified Christ still in existence.

ger/101/2013/fall/gero_crucifix.txt · Last modified: 2013/10/08 17:39 by gegoodwyn
 
Except where otherwise noted, content on this wiki is licensed under the following license: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Recent changes RSS feed Donate Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Driven by DokuWiki